The 2017 Junior Sailing Camp will be held at the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club July 24-28 (the week before Regatta). This weeklong camp is intended as an extension to the ongoing and successful Youth Sailing Program held at the Club on Saturday mornings. The goal of the camp is to provide additional intensive instruction, fundamental techniques of sailing, development of safe boating habits, and encouragement for the kids to continue to develop in sailing.
We are hoping for great participation and enthusiasm from kids, parents, coaches, and the Club. Plans are developing to have at least five instructors for the week, with one head instructor and four supporting staff.
Camp details are as follows:
- Dates: Monday, July 24th–Friday, July 28th (participants will attend all five days of camp).
- Time: 9:00 am–4:00 pm daily; lunch will be provided. Parents will be responsible for transporting their children to and from the Club.
- Items needed for camp: Life jacket, sunscreen, appropriate clothing, and a water bottle.
- Age and experience level: Ages 8–17; all levels of sailing experience are welcome.
- Cost: $275 per camper for the full week.
The Club will provide the following boats:
- Optimists –The Club has 7 Optimists that will be used for the sailing camp. Once kids reach approximately 110 lbs, most will move toward the Sunfish.
- Sunfish –The Club has 9 Sunfish.
- Other – Should a camper want to bring a Laser/420 or other, they are encouraged to do so. The boats should be in good condition, and of an appropriate size for a Junior Sailing Program.
We are looking for additional Sunfish and Optimists to be used during the week. These boats need to be “ready to go” once they arrive at the Club for the week of camp. Please take a look around and consider how you can support this effort.
The St. Ignace News published this article about the 2016 Junior Sailing Camp.
Please contact Tom & Stephanie LaBelle or Amy & Dennis Donohue with any questions or comments:
- email@example.com | 248.310.9953, 906.484.2607
- firstname.lastname@example.org | 616.446.4321, 906.484.3493
~Franklin and Peg LaBelle – Chairmen Emeritus~