Interested in becoming a member of the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club? That’s great! Here is an outline of the membership application process, along with some financial information.
In order to apply for membership, you must first ask a Club member to sponsor you. The Sponsor must have known you for at least two years. Ideally, this person would be willing to take you as his/her guest to some events at the LCYC so that you can become more familiar with the Club and meet some of our members.
Before applying, we like potential members to visit the Club—ideally, several times—so they know more about it. In order to attend an LCYC catered dinner or social hour, you must accompany a member as his/her guest. However, because the Les Cheneaux Yacht Club promotes and encourages sailing in the area, most of the sailing events are open to everyone, members and non-members alike.
The Ensign Fleet 31 regatta takes place in early August, and other races are held throughout the summer, mainly on Saturdays. Adult/open Sunfish races take place on Sundays in July.
The Club offers two sailing programs for children. Youth Sailing is offered on Saturday mornings in July, using the Club’s Optimist Prams and Sunfish. These sessions are open to members, guests, and community members (no reservations or additional fee required). For these, parents generally stay with their children; sailing is followed by a grilled hot dog lunch. A weeklong Junior Sailing Camp in July provides more intensive sailing instruction for children age 8-17. Registration and an additional fee are required.
Below are the steps involved once a Sponsor has agreed to sponsor you.
- Your Sponsor requests an application from the Membership Chair.
- The Membership Chair sends an application and instructions to your Sponsor.
- Your Sponsor then gives you the application to fill out and acts as your liaison to the Club.
- Your Sponsor writes a letter of support and introduction to the LCYC Board, which will accompany your completed application.
- Two additional letters of support are sent directly to the Membership Chair from LCYC members (of one year or longer) who have known you for at least one year.
Fees upon Acceptance: $1600
Annual Dues: Currently $450